Certificate in Nursing Studies QQI Level 5 (5M4349) – 1 Year
This One Year, full time, QQI Level 5 Course aims to prepare the Learner to work with people as part of a Multidisciplinary team within Acute Hospital, respite & social care, and community residential care settings.
Learners will be provided with opportunities to develop the necessary foundational theoretical and Skills based knowledge, to enable them to work competently within Healthcare Sector. We will support the development of learners’ interpersonal and academic skills in order to prepare them for further undergraduate studies in Nursing or other related/accessible Degree Programmes, in Ireland or abroad. Our course is aimed at supporting whole student development.
You will be supported by our team of qualified Professionals, comprising: Registered Nurses, Sports, Psychology & Social Care Professionals, Physical Therapists, Professional Coaches, Maths Tutors and Career Guidance Counsellors.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for post-leaving cert students and mature learners who are interested in moving into the area of Nursing, Healthcare or Social Sciences.
- Students who did not obtain the required Leaving Certificate points for their chosen nursing course can use this course as a progression route.
- Students who were ineligible to progress to a nursing degree program because they did not study a science subject for the Leaving Certificate.
- Students who wish to defer their college place to prepare themselves for college, or those who are unsure of which direction to take, who wish to explore this sector to find their true north.
- Mature learners who are interested in this area of work or further studies.
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Introduction to Nursing
- Human Growth & Development
- Care Skills
- Care of the Older Person
- Care Support
- Palliative Care Support
- Infection Prevention & Control
- Work Experience
- Caring for Children in Hospital
- Health Promotion Level 6 (6N2214)
- Guest Speakers/College events/Activities
- CAO and UCAS Application Supports and Career Guidance
- College Talks/trips
- Health Promotion Day – Health Care Checks
(Modules offered may be subject to change)
- Onsite – First Aid Responder (FAR) QQI Level 5
- Onsite – Manual Handling and People Handling
- Multiple Courses completed via HseLand prior to Work Placement (see Certification section below)
- Leaving Cert (Grade O6/H7 in Four Ordinary or Higher-Level Subjects including: Mathematics and English or Irish) – Please note that course offers are conditional on students meeting the minimum course entry requirements. Proof of this will be required at registration.
- English language test requirements must be met CEFR Level B2 will be considered, C1 – C2 (Proficiency Level).
- Applicants without the formal entry requirements may be considered for entry depending on prior learning and/or experience.
- Mature students, and those without a formal education, are welcome to apply for consideration.
- Interview for all applicants.
- A Garda vetting application must be completed prior to commencement on the course. Please bring accurate details of all addresses from birth to present and the corresponding years at that address with you.
English language test requirements must be met CEFR Level C1 – C2 (Proficiency Level).
Applicants without the formal entry requirements may be considered for entry depending on prior learning and/or experience, pending interview. Mature students are also welcome to apply for consideration, pending interview.
A Garda vetting application must be completed prior to commencement on the course. Please bring accurate details of all addresses from birth to present and the corresponding years at that address with you.
- Certificate in Nursing Studies QQI Level 5 (5M4349)
- First Aid Responder – QQI L 5
- Patient moving and Handling Training
- QQI Level 5 Maths
- Hand Hygiene – Training
- Putting the Standards in to Practice – Infection Prevention and Control in Community Settings
- Putting the Standards into Practice – Safeguarding vulnerable Adults
- Child Protection – Children’s First
- GDPR Training
- Dysphasia Training
In order to attend Placement to gain this full award, all students must hold these Certificates.
Hep. B vaccination is advisable/requested by Placement s – Information provided on commencement of course.
On Achievement of this full award, Graduates may apply to Institutes of Technology or Colleges/Universities within Ireland to study for undergraduate Nursing degree or other programs. The main Nursing pathways a Graduate may consider Pursuing further studies in are:
- Childrens and General Nursing (Integrated)
- Mental Health Nursing
- Intellectual Disability Nursing
- Midwifery Nursing
Through the CAO Graduates may pursue BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies QQI Level 8 programs, in Irish Institutes of Technology, Colleges/Universities across all of the 4 pathways listed above.
The newly expanded QQI links programme offers many more nursing degree courses to Graduates from our courses in colleges such as, DCU, UCD, Trinity, TU Dublin/Blanchardstown, IT Carlow, Maynooth University, Athlone, Carlow, Dundalk Institute of Technology, St. Angela’s Sligo, Letterkenny IT, Galway Mayo Institute, NUI, Galway NUIG, University of Limerick, Tralee IT, UCC and Waterford Institute of Technology.
This full award can also provide an opportunity for graduates to apply to Social Care, Social studies Undergraduate courses, and many more listed on the CAO Course finder link located below.
*Through the UK UCAS college application system, Graduates can seek links to a variety of Nursing Degree, and Healthcare related Programs in the UK, many of which we have links with – (See list below under College Links)
Graduates can seek employment immediately as a Healthcare Assistant/Care Support Worker in Acute hospitals, community, social, residential, home, and healthcare settings.
Graduates may also apply for entry to Social Care QQI Level 6 in Colaiste Dhulaigh FET.
Work Placement links
Acute HSE Hospitals:
- Beaumont Hospital – large number of placements allocated – Directly linked.
- Mater Public & Private/Direct link
Other Facilities With direct links:
- Care Choice – Various Locations
- Tara Winthrop
- Central Remedial Clinic Clontarf
- Bartra Healthcare – variety of locations
- Doolagh’s Park Care & Rehabilitation Centre – (Trinity Care)
Our students also gain placements regularly in other hospitals in their localities such as: National Orthopaedic Hospital (Cappagh), Temple Street Children’s Hospital, Beaumont Lodge, Highfield Healthcare and many other facilities.
Students have an opportunity to complete 3 weeks work placement on the EU Funded Erasmus+ Programme.
Graduates of this course may use the QQI links scheme to progress to a wide variety of courses offered by the Universities and Institutes of Technology. www.nursingcareers.ie
Students can use this major award (5M4349) to apply to colleges through the CAO. See the list of colleges accepting this award as an entry requirement here.
On Graduation from this course Applications made through UCAS will enable graduates to access a range of UK/NI University, Nursing or other health or social care undergraduate degree programs. Our Course has fostered links with many UK and NI Universities, where a lot of our graduates also progress on to – see list below:
- Ulster University – Currently nursing/Healthcare Undergraduate degree program fees are fully funded by UK Dept. Of Health. (Currently provide a 6000 Euro Bursary for Rep. Of Ireland Successful Nursing Applicant s)
- University of Sunderland – Uk
- University of Wolverhampton – UK
- Kings College Hospital – London UK
- Dundee University – Dundee Scotland UK
- Napier University – Edinburgh Scotland UK
- Sterling University – Sterling Scotland UK
Students are required to purchase specific course tunics – details on commencement of course – other equipment will be provided.