Fully funded, Full time/Flexible – September to May
This advanced traineeship program is offered to outdoor instructors and experienced practitioners who wish to progress and upskill in a variety of National Governing Body leadership and instructorship awards.
All participants will undertake “digital marketing” and “train the trainer” modules.
Individuals will have the opportunity to train and develop their personal and instructional skills in land and/or water-based activities (hillwalking, rock climbing, kayaking, sailing, windsurfing, powerboating, stand up paddle boarding). The main feature of this programme is work placement (in house or with our Host Industry partners) where the students gain valuable insight to a specific industry and relevant practical experience.
Trainees will avail of membership to National Governing Bodies (Irish Sailing, Canoeing Ireland, Mountaineering Ireland), instructor equipment grant allowance, transport to activities, groups, facilities and mentoring to fulfil pre-requisites and logbook requirements.
Eligible students will be put forward for instructor and/or senior instructor assessments within their respective disciplines.
Training and assessment opportunities (depending on individual profile):
- Mountain Leader Training and assessment
- Learn to Lead (Rock climbing)
- Fundamentals of climbing 1 & 2
- Rock Climbing Instructor training and assessment
- Rescue and Emergency Care 3
- Safety boat
- Powerboat and safety boat instructor
- Catamaran instructor endorsement
- Irish Sailing Senior Instructor
- Kayak instructor training and assessment (level 2 and/or 3)
- Swift Water Rescue
- Stand Up Paddle instructor training and assessment
- Coasteering skills and rescue
- Coasteering leader training
Applicants must be hard working and dedicated. They must have relevant work experience and outdoor instructorship qualifications (holder of QQI level 6 in Sports Recreation and Exercise may apply). Written reference from an outdoor practitioner must be provided.
Traineeships are free to access and open to potential participants of all ages and backgrounds including school leavers, older learners, and those in, or seeking employment.