Social Care QQI Level 6
This is a two year Social Care QQI Level 6 course which examines the theory and practice of social studies and social care. The wide range of modules offered enables students to gain a critical awareness of the way in which society works and provides the opportunity to investigate contemporary social issues and problems. Modules encompass a mix of psychology, sociology and practice-based subjects.
Learners are also enabled to improve their communication skills, self-awareness, critical reflection and interpersonal skills, all of which are central to working in social care. Students will engage in supervised work experience over the two years which provides practical knowledge, skills and competence for the field of social care.
- Social Studies
- Intercultural Studies
- Applied Psychology
- Equality & Disability
- Young People & Society
- Personal Effectiveness
- Work Experience
- Rehabilitation Practice
- Disability Awareness
- Work Experience
- Personal and Professional Development
- Mental Health Awareness
- Boundary Management
1st year (QQI Level 5)
Students are expected to have an academic ability which will allow them to engage in a meaningful way with a QQI Level 5 course of this type. This may include:
– A QQI Level 4 qualification,
– A minimum of 5 Pass grades in the Leaving Cert, one of which should be a 06 grade in Leaving Cert English
– An overall Merit Grade in LCA.
– Exceptions may be made for mature students returning to education and those without a formal education. However, a basic level of IT skills is required, for e.g., familiarity with Microsoft Word.
– Students undertaking Social Care & Childcare work placements are also required to meet the conditions of our Fitness to Practice policy along with statutory Garda Vetting requirements
2nd year (QQI Level 6)
This is an advanced course open to students who hold a full QQI Level 5 Award in Applied Social Studies or its equivalent.
Graduates from this course may gain entry to Degree Programmes in a number of Institutes of Technology with related courses through the Higher Education Links Scheme.
Social Care involves working with marginalised or disadvantaged people in a caring, compassionate way. There are a wide range of career options in social care including:
Youth and community work, working with young offenders, the probation service, working with disadvantaged children , working with the physically or intellectually disabled, the homeless, the elderly, people with drug/alcohol dependency, asylum seekers/refugees etc.
Year 1: €320
Year 2: €300
This course is free for those over 21 and in receipt of a social welfare payment*. Click here for more information and to check eligibility.